Friday, January 3, 2020

AMTRAK!

I can't decide on a posting schedule so I said "self, just do it when you feel like it".

"Intrastate"
Amtrak train #369 putting along southbound towards Clemens. Scene loosely inspired by the Dubuque Tunnel.

Astute observers will note the odd combination of a locomotive and NPCU on the head-end, also Amtrak jargon for "non-powered-control unit". This will be totally SHOCKING, but this is due to a bad ordered m/u cable in the train set. The crew will have to run around the equipment before going north on their next tour of duty, which I'm sure they're very happy about doing! I might rename this the "Algonquin" since I forgot about that name until I looked at my older photos. Those Rapido units still need to receive some road grime and battle scars to really look the part, and I might also try and upgrade the LEDs to make them brighter since they do seem a bit dim out of the box. Yes, I have looked at the CV values using the Lokprogrammer...

"Algonquin"
 Amtrak train #359, the "Algonquin"

The first layout I built in our new home was short lived and N scale too, so these photos are a few years old. I made too many mistakes during the planning and construction (built too low, bad lighting, scenery too deep, etc) so it got torn down. 

"Bluffs, IL"

AMTK 396 leads train #359 into Bluffs, IL

The decision pushed me to sell off most of my N-scale equipment to fund a move to HO scale. The amount of detail parts and accessories, plus the DCC sound/lighting opportunities were just too much to pass up. Giving up the sort of space available in N scale was tough, but I've gotten used to it now. It seems like less is more, plus the time that can now go into detailing individual scenes and structures (still large enough to get noticed) in HO scale more than makes up for it.
That lone Superliner is over 1300 scale feet from the head end.


That's about it for now and since I did save most of this Amtrak equipment, maybe there is hope again for another N scale layout in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment