Saturday, February 1, 2020

SCRAP YARD

I don't have much time for writing, so here's a few pictures of the local scrap yard. 
















In the interest of economics, I decided to attempt the rusty, junky look using sawdust and washes of India ink. The piles are still drying, so the scene isn't completely done yet...I may add some more "rust" effects and junk laying around too. 

















The signage was simply printed on glossy paper I had in the stash, then cut out and glued to the fencing with some brand of tacky glue. It seems like "SCRAP WORKS" is a real business, but I went into MS Word and added a Missouri area code and fake address to give a sense of place.

















The rusted, beaten-up walls were created with self-adhesive insulation tape that I embossed on a sheet of styrene, using the end of a paint brush. A million-dollar project, for sure!



























Oh yeah, the ground and scrap yard walls were weathered using a "rust" solution and paint sold by Modern Masters. I think I got the idea from Jim at JSSX, who used it to beat up some gondolas, if I remember correctly...

The last photo I've got right now is the material handler I found on Amazon for about $12...so I bought three! They came with a magnet too but the chains they used don't really let them hang properly, so I've got the clamshell in use right now until I can modify those parts. This guy was weathered with a spray of Testor's clear flat (protecting the windows with Micro Mask), then shot with an India ink wash out of a small pump bottle. Probably a little too heavy, but that's fine. It's in a junkyard after all.  







2 comments:

  1. Been watching for your next post, and it was worth the wait. Lots to like, but that fence is really good. Well done!

    Jim @ the JSSX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. I saw that a friend gave you "busheling" for yours, so maybe I should go make friends with a machinist here in town. There's some for sale on eBay but I didn't want spend any money to model junk!

      Delete